Sunday, March 11, 2007

300

This was a good and full weekend, and I did not get too much sleep. I will talk about; how I lost my money in poker, and volleyball in a later post, right now I wanted to talk about the movie 300.

I was really looking forward to this faithful adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novel, after seeing Sin City (which was not my favorite comic book movie; however it was fresh and new). Well 300, does not disappoint (at that level), the look of the film was amazing, and I was really dawn into the story, because of the look, and presentation.

And now for my complaints, and I have a few. First, I wish that this sorry was not a true story, in our history, which we know a little about; the Battle of Thermopylae. I did not know of this battle and I’m a bit upset that this distortion was my first look at this event in history. Now I understand that all movies that are based in fact are made to entertain, and not educate, but there was so much fantasy, it started to take away from my enjoyment of the film; I wished it was just a comic book story.

I also felt that film makers were worried about how this movie would be perceived, with all the men running around with little on, looking like a gay man wet dream, so they put in a few gay bashing comments. Also the made Xerxes (The Persian ruler) an androgynous 8 foot tall monster (We know that in history that he was evil, or at least tyrant). But it just did not stop with that, the film almost looked like it was making the point, if you are different; deformed; perceived ugly, that you are evil.

I loved the look of the film, and how it turned chopping off heads and limbs into art, but I can’t get passed how it portrayed the Persians as evil monster; and how it rewrites the past. I don’t think that we should take history, and twist it like this. I would ask people to read up on the Battle of Thermopylae, and the events before and after, then see the movie, as mindless entertainment. I know that most people will disagree with me, and most people will love this move, and say that it's comic book, get over it.

4.5/10 Looks really good, but I can't recommend it.smile_sad

No comments: